Going up and down stairs may be a taboo for some pregnant women. One reason is to avoid the risk of falling. However, some find going up and down stairs as a beneficial physical activity. Then, which one is correct? Can pregnant women go up and down stairs? Check out the full review below.
Can pregnant women go up and down stairs?
Pregnant women may go up and down stairs as long as the mother’s condition is healthy and the pregnancy goes smoothly, without pregnancy complications. It doesn’t matter if you are pregnant or pregnant at 36 weeks or 39 weeks. As long as your condition and pregnancy are healthy, you can still go up and down stairs slowly and carefully.
Even so, pregnant women may not be advised to go up and down stairs too often or do other physical activities, if they experience the following conditions:
- Mother’s condition is not fit
- Pregnant women experience bleeding
- Content with placenta previa
- Blood pressure problems or hypertension that lead to preeclampsia
- Miscarriage history
- Pelvic pain
- Lower abdominal pain
This condition can be dangerous for pregnant women when going up and down stairs. Some of the dangers that may occur when pregnant women go up and down stairs with unsupportive conditions include:
- Pelvic pain during pregnancy is getting worse
- Fall down
If done slowly and conditions are supportive, going up and down stairs can be one of the most beneficial exercises during pregnancy. Some of the benefits of going up and down stairs for pregnant women, including:
- Regular physical exercise during pregnancy
- Keep pregnant women active
- Improve blood circulation
- Make a good mood
- Opening the birth canal
Erin O’Brien, a prenatal and postnatal specialist, says that walking up and down stairs for 20 minutes can be a great workout even up to 36 weeks pregnant. However, consult further with your doctor regarding your condition and your pregnancy, as well as the physical activities you should do to support health during pregnancy.
Tips for safe going up and down stairs for pregnant women
Although allowed, going up and down stairs during pregnancy also has risks. To stay safe while going up or down stairs, here are some things you need to pay attention to:
- Make sure your pregnancy and condition are healthy
- Avoid using slippery and loose footwear
- Avoid wearing clothes that hang to the floor or are too narrow to reduce movement when climbing stairs
- Make sure the stairs are sturdy, not wet or slippery, and have handrails
- Make sure the stairs are quiet, there are no small children running around
- Hold on while going up and down stairs to maintain balance
- Go up and down stairs slowly, don’t rush
- Avoid bending over
- If you feel dizzy, tired, or short of breath while climbing stairs, take a break
- Ask someone to accompany you while going up and down the stairs