You may already know the benefits of aloe vera for beauty. However, did you know that aloe vera also has health benefits, including good for diabetics? Check out a review of the benefits, risks, and ways of consuming aloe vera for diabetes that are safe below.
Benefits of aloe vera for diabetes
Diabetes is a condition of elevated blood sugar levels that occurs when the body doesn’t produce enough insulin or use it effectively to get glucose into cells.
Insulin is a hormone that plays a role in keeping blood sugar levels stable. Persistently high and untreated blood sugar can increase the risk of organ damage.
A healthy diet, regular exercise, stress management, and antidiabetic drugs or insulin prescribed by a doctor are effective ways to control blood sugar levels in diabetes.
Some people may supplement diabetes treatment in a natural way, one of which is taking aloe vera juice or supplements. The benefits of aloe vera for diabetes are known to come from the antidiabetic effects contained in it.
Here are some potential benefits of aloe vera for diabetes that you can discuss with your doctor:
Lowering blood sugar levels
Aloe vera contains active compounds that can be used for health, including vitamins, minerals, enzymes, anthraquinones, monosaccharides, polysaccharides, lignin, saponins, salicylic acid, phytosterols, and amino acids.
Some of the compounds in aloe vera are known to have antidiabetic properties that are able to control glucose levels in the blood.
Increase insulin effectiveness
Aloe vera also contains compounds of chromium, magnesium, manganese, and zinc. These compounds are known to increase the effectiveness of insulin so that it plays an important role in glucose metabolism.
Furthermore, a 2022 study in the Brazilian Journal of Pharmacognosy stated that aloe vera was able to lower blood glucose levels, increase plasma insulin, reduce oxidative stress, and stimulate the production of collagen and elastin fibers. Not only controlling blood sugar, this benefit is also effective in helping the healing of diabetic ulcers in test animals.
Is there any risk of side effects of aloe vera for diabetes?
Not only the potential benefits, aloe vera for diabetes is also inseparable from the risk of side effects. Especially for those of you who are also taking other drugs. Some of the side effects of aloe vera for diabetes include:
- Hypoglycemia or very low blood sugar levels. This can happen when you take medication to lower blood sugar along with consuming aloe vera juice or supplements
- Loss of consciousness and other symptoms. Blood sugar levels that drop drastically can cause fatigue, shaking, sweating, irregular heart rhythm, confusion, blurred vision, seizures, and loss of consciousness.
- Reduces the effectiveness of the drug. Aloe vera has a laxative effect that can decrease the absorption and effectiveness of other oral medications
How to consume aloe vera that is safe for diabetics
You need to consult a doctor if you want to take aloe vera juice or supplements as part of diabetes treatment.
Here are some ways to consume aloe vera for diabetics that you need to discuss with your doctor:
- Continue to live a healthy diet and life, as well as medications or insulin therapy recommended by a doctor.
- Consult a doctor regarding the need or not to consume aloe vera along with the right dose to avoid excessive use.
- Keep monitoring your blood sugar levels regularly to avoid reactions to blood sugar levels being too low.
- Record your experiences with adding aloe vera to your diabetes treatment plan, including your dosage, timing, benefits, and side effects.
- If you want to consume aloe vera juice, make sure it is clean to avoid contamination.
that’s some of the benefits of aloe vera for diabetes hopefully this information is useful.